
There is an annual market held in Uppsala called Disting. It originates from
Dísablót, an annual offering to the female gods. This took place from pre-historic times until Christianization in Scandinavia. Its purpose was to enhance the coming harvest.

The market is similar in character to a lot of the previous markets we have attended while being here, lots of meats and cheeses, fish and knitted goods.

While we went to the market with no money in our pocket, it was still a pleasure to wander through the maze of vendors tents and see the goods that they were selling.

One common product that a person would have difficulty finding in the US is bear sausage. There are people who hunt bear in Virginia and I believe I could get it if I wanted but I don't believe I have ever saw signs advertising it. Bear sausage is quite popular here.
No comments:
Post a Comment