Sunday, January 23, 2011

Dinosaurs

Uppsala University has quite a dinosaur collection and on Sunday we went to view it. It has been such a long time since I have been to such a place, The Smithsonian when I was around 10 years old is probably the last time. Seeing them again makes me feel like an excited little kid. I can't imagine anyone not being excited by dinosaur bones. I am pretty sure Elizabeth shares my sentiments here.

This is the Plesiosaur, or as he is more commonly known " Loch Ness Monster". After T-Rex, this was my favorite. T-Rex is every bodies favorite dinosaur, weather they know it or not.

The museum also has a large collection of minerals, crystals, stones, geodes, etc. The picture above is of super-thin slices of crystal formation. They were displayed in front of a window as you see. Since Sunday was one of the nicest days ( weather wise ) we have had in a while, the sun illuminated the display wonderfully. Elizabeth greats props for the photo.

There were also a number of dinosaurs fossils of this nature. Some large, some small. All were lovely. I decided that after I die it would be nice to be preserved in this fashion, perhaps in carbonite like Han-Solo.

In the building opposite the dinosaur building, there is a large collection of preserved animals, some stuffed, some in mad-science-looking jars of liquid. Birds, fish, mammals, all sorts of things. There is also a piano.

In the stuffed section we had our first moose siting. He was much calmer than I predict the un-stuffed versions are.




No comments:

Post a Comment